Monday, January 3, 2011

Daniel Fast: 2 Days In

Here we are, 2 days into the Daniel Fast.  So far, so good. 
Paul and I began the Daniel Fast yesterday, and so far it hasn't been bad.  The worst part has been the blow to our grocery budget.  Eating all natural is super expensive!  I keep telling myself that the cost is well worth it and to not allow that to frustrate me (mind you, I am beyond cheap and am pretty true to those Dutch roots!).

Paul and I came up with a list of things to pray for this week.  We have a list of people we want to focus on praying for, as well as specific areas where Paul and I each need to grow.  Our devotional from yesterday spoke about confessing our sins and areas we are personally struggling in before we move forward with the fast.  Humbling, huh?  I know I have a laundry list of items to confess, but my biggest one is gossip.  I hate to admit this.  I never want to be that person that is known for talking about others, but I have found that I tend to do this more than I care to admit.  It is an area that I really struggle with and it doesn't do any good for anyone.  This is definitely what I will praying about especially during this fast. 

I know I am 2 days in, but I really had a bit of an epiphany (a small one) today while playing with Belle.  I was feeling sleepy and thinking about taking a nap when Belle did.  I began to think about how weak my body is.  Often my biggest struggle is against my own body's desire for sleep and rest.  I will be starting back at my internship on Wednesday and I dread how tired I will be.  Some of my most difficult moments are in relation to complete exhaustion and fatigue.  My own body almost fights against what my mind wants to do.  I guess this epiphany has just reminded me of how fragile my mortal and human body is.  My massive headache today was also a big reminder of how weak I am when my body isn't functioning well!

For me the first couple of days have humbled me and reminded me of how weak I am on my own.  If I rely on myself and my human body it will always fail me.  Eventually, this body won't function, so placing my faith in this is useless.  My faith should be in God and His constant strength.  His body is never weak, nor does He ever get a headache!  He isn't tired and never needs to take a nap. 

So, in relation to my prayer list, I place my faith in the strength of God, rather than relying on my own strength for change.  I can't do this on my own.  Thank goodness!

No comments: