Thursday, June 7, 2012

What I Have Learned



I was rather unsure how I would manage to children, or how it would be different, but life at this point feels normal and like it has always been like this. Evie is approaching 7 months, and I feel that being a mama of two so far has taught me a few things. I'll probably have more to this when Evie turns a year, but for now I want to document while I am thinking of it. So here goes:

  1. While making baby food today for Evie, I was irritated that I didn't make baby food for Belle. This is merely for the fact that it is SO easy and SO much cheaper than buying the pre made stuff.  
  2. I am constantly in shock of how the same two people could produce children which such different personalities. 
  3. A crying baby is so much easier to tune out the second time around. 
  4. Each milestone with the second is just as exciting with the first. 
  5. I realize how bored Belle must have been as an infant with only me to look at during the day. Evie is forever laughing at Belle and watching her. 
  6. You forget so much. Seriously, I can't believe how many times I called my sisters asking them when Evie should be doing certain things, or needing a refresher on sleep training, nursing, introducing food, etc. 
  7. I don't know what I did with my time when I JUST had Belle. Seriously, she didn't make messes for the first year of her life, so what was I doing at home all day?!?! (Probably crocheting. Seriously.) 
  8. The one on one time I get with Belle here and there is so much fun. She is really my little buddy. It's hard to give her this when Evie is up. Making special time for my oldest must be a priority. 
  9. Diapers are annoying to begin with, and now they are doubly annoying. Thank goodness Belle is basically potty trained and we only use two diapers for her a day (nap and bedtime)
  10. I took a lot of naps when I just had Belle. I would often nap when she was napping. Evie came along and now my bed misses me. 
  11. You do things out of survival and care less if it's the "right way." If it keeps your sanity, then it is the right way. No judging.
  12. Time goes so quickly! I honestly feel like Belle's first year didn't go this quickly. Maybe it felt longer because it was such a huge learning curve, and because I could focus on just her. Holy moly, I CANNOT believe Evie is almost 7 months old! 
  13. I thought I would always have distinct memories of Belle at every stage. I don't. I am so thankful I took videos of her. Needless to say, I record the girls at least twice a week. I want to remember. 
  14. Belle's age makes me want 10 more kids. Evie's makes me overwhelmed when I think of more. The baby stage is tough. It's physically exhausting. I keep reminding myself that this stage is so short in comparison to the rest of their lives. 
  15. Most importantly, I am learning that I CAN Do this, and I AM doing this, and (most days) I really really enjoy this mom thing. 

I realize that I like to write blog posts that are lists. Clearly it helps me organize my thoughts. I need that! :). I'm sure I have a million more things I've learned, but I don't have the energy to think of more.  Now time for wine and popcorn!

No comments: