Thursday, December 5, 2013

Facebook Is My Friend



Today I went to a retirement party for my boss when I worked at Access of West Michigan.  Many of the people I ran into are only those I see a couple times a year...if that.  However, each of them had one thing in common.  They all had a good idea of what was happening in my life thanks to good ol' Facebook.

The people that I ran into are those who I know care about me.  They asked about my girls, and they laughed at the many stories they have seen on Facebook about Belle's one-liners or Evie's newest antics.  I found that they actually were entertained, as well as interested in the stories that I share on Facebook.

I am a self-proclaimed "Facebook Over-Poster."  It is not new to me that I post statuses often about any subject across the board.  The fact is that I find Facebook entertaining.  Frankly, I have found it a great venue to share stories about my kids, ask advice, and follow up with others.

Let's discuss this stay-at-home-mom life.  I feel very blessed to be home with my girls, but there are days that can get long and lonely.  Sometimes things happen during the day I want to share with someone right away, but the chaos happening inside my home makes it not so convenient to call people up to discuss the latest and greatest Belle or Evie saga.  Sometimes I just want to share things so it is documented, and I can go back someday and read what life was like at this stage.

There are days I feel worn down and I just need some words of encouragement.  Paul is busy at work and can't always give me pep talks during the day to lift my spirits.  Enter Facebook.  Reaching out about a tough mom day to my Cornerstone MOPS group page has solicited loads of "You're a good mom!"  "Hang in there!" "Praying for you!"  All at once I am not alone and I have an instant cheering squad encouraging me to keep my head up and that "this too shall pass."  There are many days I have found a renewed sense of energy in this mom gig just by utilizing Facebook.

There are other days I just have to share a story about my kids because they are too funny to keep to myself.  I am not saying that I think other people find these stories funny, but I am hoping they can at least appreciate the crazy things that happen in this house.  I enjoy the posts others share about their kids, and sometimes you just can't pass up an opportunity to reinforce the fact that "kids say the darndest things."

Sometimes I just want to share things just to share life.  I have always been a social person.  In high school and college I constantly interacted with my closest friends and multiple people in a short amount of time.  Now, things are just different.  I don't get to socialize on a daily basis like I had been able to in my past.  I see people here and there, but I don't get my daily dose of adult interaction like I used to.  Facebook has become a way for me to share the ins and outs of my life from the comfort of my home without having to schedule a million playdates or social gatherings.

Tonight I was actually jokingly told that my Facebook posts have been therapy for someone because it has helped them realize that their granddaughter is behaving exactly how she should :-)  Another person told me that they loved following me on Facebook because my girls keep them laughing.  There are many days I question if my posts drive people crazy or not, but it was really nice to hear that others find them entertaining, and in some cases they actually help others feel more "normal." :-)

So, whether you hate my Facebook activity or not, I will most likely keep the statuses coming.  I find a comfort in knowing there are hundreds of people out there that I can reach out to for advice, for encouragement, to make laugh, and just use as a captive audience for the things that happen in my life.  Thankfully, there are many of you out there like me to keep me entertained and feeling "normal" as well.


No comments: