Thursday, January 7, 2010

2010 Resolution

Well, it is 2010. The past year was extremely eventful and I can only hope that 2010 brings as many blessings as 2009 did.

So far things in the Thompson household are pretty low key. Belle has yet another cold, but I figure that it is just building up her immunity so that by the time she is my age she will never get sick :-) Paul and I don't really make resolutions, although I have been thinking more and more that this would be good for me.

One thing that I would like to do more of is to read my Bible. It's terrible that I don't remember the last time I opened it, and I am well aware that there is a layer of dust sitting on top of it right now. Don't get me wrong, I have chats with God and send prayers up here and there, but I rarely dive into the Bible. I can always use that excuse that I am too busy, but then I think how God must laugh at me when I act like I am too busy to open up His word. How many times a day do I check my email or browse what's happening on Facebook? I wouldn't be too busy to read the Bible once in awhile if I just gave up a little bit of my online social life.

So, that is my goal. Our pastor spoke about doing things "bite sized" last week. He talked about how when we start with a goal we shouldn't just go full force into it, because it we could get exhausted quickly and not want to return the next day. He said that starting to read the Bible could even be just 2-3 verses a day. Either way, it is better than none. I figure that I can't really fail at this goal, since any amount of time spent is better than what I have been doing.

So, there it is I guess. My New Year's resolution is to actually read the Bible. Sounds simple for someone who has been a Christian all of her life...but how easily I feel it is to get comfortable and assume that I have it all figured out and that God can't reveal anymore to me than He already has. Hopefully 2010 brings a surge of spiritual growth in my life and reveals so many new and exciting things to Paul and I.

Here's to a new 2010 and praying I actually stick to my resolution this year (it has to be easier than going to the gym!).

No comments: